Monday, October 26, 2009
STOP THE ROUNDUP OF AMERICA’S WILD HORSES!
According to the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign:
• In the 19th century, more than 2 million wild horses roamed the West (source: J. Frank Dobie, “The Mustangs”, Southern Methodist University Press, Dallas, 1952).
• Today, less than 25,000 wild horses likely remain on public lands.
• Over 6 million head of private livestock enjoy subsidized grazing on public lands.
• More than 200,000 wild horses and burros have been removed from public lands since 1971. The BLM plans to remove another 6,000 for Fiscal Year 2009.
• The 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act mandates that wild horses and burros be managed on 47 million acres of public lands on 303 herd areas.
• Since 1971, wild horses have been zeroed out from 111 herd areas representing over 19 million acres.
• BLM relies on an annual population increase rate of about 20% to evaluate population levels and justify round-ups, while the National Academy of Sciences estimates that rate to be closer to 10%.
• Wild horses account for less than 0.5% of large grazing animals on public lands.
• 6 states have lost their entire wild horse and burro populations.
• In 70% of the remaining herd areas, BLM’s population targets are set at levels that will not ensure genetic viability.
• The current removal policy is costing over 39 million tax dollars a year.
• According to the USGS, $7.7 million could be saved annually through the use of contraceptive measures alone.
• The removal and processing of a single horse through the adoption pipeline can cost as much as $3,000.
• Over 30,000 wild horses are currently held in government holding pens. Under the Burns Amendment, about 8,000 of them are threatened with slaughter.
• In 2008, less than 5% of BLM’s wild horse and burro program budget was allocated to herd management on the range, with the remaining 95% allocated to captures, holding and placement.
If you care about America’s wild horses, please visit this website and sign the petition. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/STOP-THE-ROUNDUPS-SAVE-OUR-WILD-HORSES Don’t wait – the horses are running out of time.